Who just got back from spring break or is going on spring break soon? *raising my own hand!*
We did an impromptu quick trip down to LA for a few days to reset and it was awesome! Warm weather, our favorite foods, flip flops, no real agenda except to enjoy ourselves as much as possible (and avoid rush hour).
It's always hard for me to leave LA and as we were heading out I said to my husband, "How can we feel like this all the time?"
And isn't it true? We get back from a wonderful vacation and after 2 days back in daily life, we've already lost our bliss and relaxation. What the Fruit?!
But WAIT! How sad is that?! LIFE is WAY longer than vacation! So, let's learn how to bring joyful aspects of vacation to our every day — daily enjoyment is what life is all about.
While taking time to luxuriate daily might seem impossible (or makes you roll your eyes), it's not. It just requires a little prioritization and focus. We work hard — we all deserve to take an every day vacation.
1) Time outdoors. On vacation we spend time outdoors and even exercise outdoors. At home, we might hit the gym, workout class, or jump on the treadmill in the basement. Notice those are all indoors? As beings of nature, nature revitalizes us. We feel amazing in nature because it's our home. Get outside more (weather is getting better! Even 20 minutes will do wonders.
2) Luxury of time. How can we get more time into the day? We can't. Time is time. But we can use the time we have, better. Instead of noodling online, put on sneakers and power walk for 30 minutes. Instead of complaining to a coworker, go outside, find a bench, sit n' breathe. Wake up early, enjoying the twilight into sunrise while you light a candle and journal intentions for the day (no complaining in your journal — rainbows and sunshine).
3) Beautiful things. How can we bring in more beauty to the daily-daily? Flowers on the table. Beautiful, transportive photos at home or work. New dangle earrings, a mala bracelet or sparkly crystal. Can you work by a window? Can you get a natural light lamp? Himalayan salt lamps are awesome. What do you see on vacation that you could bring to your every day?
4) Eat fresh, yummy foods. You are the one choosin' your groceries so...choose ones that make you feel amazing! Does mango make you feel like life is easy? Get it. Avocado make you feel spoiled? Do it. An afternoon chai latte? Have it and savor. Hand-made pasta? Take some extra time on a Saturday and make it. Thai food your fav? Get a Thai cookbook and commit 1 recipe to memory.
5) Happy music we normally don't listen to. We can listen to music from ANYwhere now! Pandora and Spotify give us world music at our fingertips. Some of my favorite transportive music stations on Pandora are: "Wes Anderson" (makes me feel like I'm pedaling around Paris with flowers and bread), "Tycho" and "Washed Out" (makes me feel like I'm on a hazy beach in SoCal), "Nightmares on Wax" is another easy chill mix, "1901" makes me want to dance. Google Music is also super fun where you choose songs based on your mood or how you want to feel. And did you listen to my super fun Kapha playlist yet?
6) Extra sleep. No you can't sleep in daily like you can on vacation, but there's an easy fix. Go to bed earlier. Spend 1 week going to bed at 8pm or 9pm and see how fantastic you feel. Use this when needed. When I was writing my book, I would stay up mega-late 2-3 nights in a row and then balance with 2 nights of going to bed at 8pm.
Whattaya think? Are you inspired? What other ideas do you have?
If we spent more time enjoying each day and less of a focus trying to escape it, we would feel nourished and enriched, every single day. That is the good life, my friends.
Finally, please enjoy my favorite little story about the Mexican Fisherman and The Investment Banker. This story will give you a completely different perspective on the way (and the why) you spend your time. So good!!
Keep bringing Ayurveda (and vacationey feelings!) to life!